Roseau Memorial arena is an old, 3,000 seat wood-ceiling building erected in 1949 with pine-paneling in the lobby dinged from numerous kids playing “ball-hockey”. Five hundred men spent thousands of man hours building the 216 x 120 ft. structure that was practically paid for at the dedication of the rink on January 2, 1950. Donations from local businessman, farmers, housewives, workers and anyone that could help throw a few cents in the pot helped pay for the arena. When construction first started men began to swarm around the area watching the hired crew building forms for concrete. Soon, many volunteers did most of the completion work. When the 28 giant rafters – each sunk in 14ft. concrete footings – were in place, the volunteer labor completed the entire sheathing in four days. In Roseau there is a newer ice arena called the Rams sports center located next to Roseau High School, but the Rams High School team prefers the old one in which numerous Division 1, Olympic gold medalists, and NHL hockey players have donned the Forest green and white Rams sweaters from Roseau’s’ yester-years. The Memorial Arena was damaged in 2002 when major flooding damaged more than 90 percent of the properties in Roseau. The citizens of the surrounding communities and Roseau once again teamed together to revive the town and the old Memorial Arena. JLG Architects planned the renovations and managed the process. Countless kids from Roseau’s youth hockey association will once again dream of following in Roseau’s past history of hockey supremacy that have led the Rams hockey team to be one of the “Best High School Boys Hockey program in the State of Minnesota,” Memorial Arena proudly houses Championship banners that hang in the rafters from: 1946, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1990, 1999, and most recently 2007.